Friday, August 19, 2016

Failing schools or inaccurate reporting?

Sent to the Los Angeles Times, August 19

Dave Pierce ("Early Learning," letters, August 19) is tired of reading stories about failing schools.  Mr. Pierce thinks the problem is parents who don't make their children do homework, but there is good evidence that the problem is that the media gives the public the impression that our schools are much worse than they are.

Every year, national polls report that people rate their local schools much more positively than they do schools in the US in general. In last year's Gallup Poll, 70% of parents said they would give the public schools their oldest child attended a grade of A or B, but only 19% would give public schools in the nation A or B.

The explanation: Parents have direct information about the school their children attend, but their opinion of American education comes from the media. For decades, the media has been reporting more academic failure than actually exists.

American schools are doing quite well: When researchers control for poverty, American students' international test scores rank near the top of the world.

Stephen Krashen




3 comments:

  1. HOW I GOT MY LOAN (Lexieloancompany@yahoo.com)!!!

    My Name is Nicole Marie, I live in USA and life is worth living comfortably for me and my family now and i really have never seen goodness shown to me this much in my life, As i am a struggling mum with two kids and i have been going through a serious problem as my husband encountered a terrible accident last two weeks, and the doctors stated that he needs to undergo a delicate surgery for him to be able to walk again and i could not afford the bills for his surgery then i went to the bank for a loan and they turn me down stating that i have no credit card, from there i ran to my father and he was not able to help me, then when i was browsing through yahoo answers i came across a God fearing man (Mr Martinez Lexie) who provides loans at an affordable interest rate and i have been hearing about so many scams on the Internet mostly Africa, but at this my desperate situation, i had no choice than to give it an attempt due to the fact that the company is from United State of America, and surprisingly it was all like a dream, i received a loan of $82,000.00 USD and i payed for my husband surgery and thank GOD today he is ok and can walk, my family is happy and i said to myself that i will shout to the world the wonders this great and God fearing Man Mr Martinez Lexie did for me and my family; so if anyone is in genuine and serious need of a loan do contact this GOD fearing man via Email: ( Lexieloancompany@yahoo.com ) or through the Company website: http://lexieloans.bravesites.com OR text: +18168926958 thanks


    ReplyDelete
  2. COLLINS GUZMAN FUNDINGS

    We offer a variety of Financial packages at a very low interest rate, We stand apart from other lenders because we believe in customer service, We offer the right solution to your financial needs.In general we are FINANCE COMPANY, We offer loan at 3% interest rate, Commercial loans, business loans, home loans, car loans and debt consolidation loan are available for you. Contact us for more information via E-MAIL: collinsguzmanfundings@gmail.com

    Names:
    Occupation:
    Loan Amount Needed:
    Loan Duration:
    Your Country:
    Mobile NO:
    Purpose Of Loan:
    Email Address:
    monthly income:
    Sex:
    Age:

    Thanks and best regards
    Mr Collins Guzman
    WhatsApp: +1 (786) 598-8751

    ReplyDelete
  3. After the demise of my husband, things got worse for my family in literally every dimension which put me in a great

    dilemma. I’m just a waitress with little financial means. The eviction came and we had limited time to find a new home. My

    credit score & report was in a mess hence I wasn’t qualified to secure a mortgage loan. I became desperate, went online,

    and found some hackers who turned out to be fake as they ripped me off on 3 occasions. A friend now recommended me to her

    family hacker named (wizard William) who was legit. I gave him a trial and he changed my situation for the better. He

    repaired my credit to my amazement & I was soon approved for a mortgage loan. Now I’m typing this review from the comfort

    of my home. I’m glad and feeling on top of the world, so here’s me recommending him to you all with bad credit. You can

    contact him via mail: wizardwilliammitnickquickrecovery@inbox.lv.net or text him on WhatsApp +1 (559) 851-5537 he is very

    trustworthy.

    ReplyDelete