Wednesday, September 9, 2015

English in Thailand: An easier, less expensive path

Sent to the Bangkok Post, September 9, 2015
As I understand it, Thailand is taking the following steps to improve English language teaching ("English language teaching: Cambridge to the rescue," Sept. 8)
1.    Bring in new exams, and include test scores on graduation certificates.
2.    Set up "intensive" language classes.
3.    Bring in foreign teachers to coach Thai teachers.
There is no basis in the research supporting any of these steps, and there is plenty of research supporting an easier and less expensive way.
First, studies show that increasing testing and testing pressure does not improve achievement. It only results in more "test preparation," ways of doing better on the exam without actually improving in the language.
Second, there are more efficient and pleasant ways of improving than intensive classes.  Study after study shows that for intermediate students time spent doing self-selected pleasure reading in English improves all aspects of English. Pleasure reading in English is an excellent predictor of TOEFL scores, and also results in improved TOEIC scores.
Third, a Thai teacher who knows pedagogy, can recommend good reading material, and speaks English well is far preferable to an untrained foreign teacher who only has the advantage of a better accent.
For a more efficient and less expensive approach to English, I suggest comprehension-based methods in the early stages such as TPRS and Natural Approach, shown repeatedly to be superior to traditional instruction, and at the intermediate level encouraging a pleasure reading habit in English, through classes in popular literature and increased library holdings.

Stephen Krashen
Professor Emeritus
University of Southern California
Original article: http://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/easy/685032/english-language-teaching-cambridge-to-the-rescue

3 comments:

  1. Easier, less expensive and faster way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I GOT A LEGIT LOAN WITHIN THREE DAYS OF APPLYING @ 2% INTEREST RATE

    Do you need a loan to pay debt, Pay bills, buy a new home and refinance your business? if yes contact MARIA HAUSTIN LOAN FIRM VIA email: mariahaustin@hotmail.com for easy and fast loan amount transfer. When i could not face my debt and i need a hug money for my son surgery, to get a good home and money to buy groceries for my other kids at home then i came on line to search for lender and i met how Mariahaustin had help several person. i immediately contact her company with my details and my loan amount was approve within 48hours and i receive the credit in my bank. contact MARIAH AUSTIN LOAN FIRM with her email mariahaustin@hotmail.com For fast approved funds transfer

    ReplyDelete
  3. How I Got My Loan From A Genuine And Reliable Loan Company

    Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs.Irene Query. I live in Philippines and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $150,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 2 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of$150,000.00 US. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs.Irene Query, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete